Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Guess what's going to Gracie??



Can't keep it in! Sweet Gracie, the little one we sponsor is turning 1 in March. The Girlies and I brainstormed what we thought she would like. My girlies are B*rbie and doll crazy, so it wasn't a surprise that they thought Gracie needed a dolly. Whodathunk that you couldn't easily find Asian dolls. That setteled it- I'd have to make her one. Far more special that way anyhow. Thing is... I can sew a mean bow, but I'm only a dabbler at sewing much else. I have made some nifty Halloween costumes, but a doll? So I grabbed my tissue paper and set off to make a pattern. I'm thrilled with how she turned out. I drew the face on paper and used my design software to create an embroidery pattern. The doll is just about 16 inches and made out of muslin and cotton. I used this soft 'fur' for the hair and made pigtails I pictutred Gracie being able to grab onto. The dolly has this verse embroidered on her belly- "The Lord will command His Angels to take good care of you." Luke 4:10 . I then had to make her a dress. I found the sweetest birthday present fabric and made the dress reversible with a pink polkadot fabric for two looks! Thie picture is of her still in progress- I'll update with all done pictures. I just have some velcro to sew onto the back of the dress and she'll ship off Wednesday. I hope she loves it. It was certainly made with love!



Photobucket

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I love the doll! After I ordered some bow I had to come back to see where you got it. Precious!!!!

Football and Fried Rice said...

Ok, girl, are you selling the dolls?? I HAVE to have one!!!! LOL! I will be perusing your site in a bit!!

Can I just say that our daughter, Mya, came home with some stuff that was obviously sent to her from her sponsors (an "I love Louisianna" teddy bear & a inscribed Veggie Tales" book) They really mean the world to me to know that she was so covered in prayer while she waited for her forever family!!

Hugs,
Sara